Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Wednesday, 24 August 2005 - The moon at mid-morning

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a rare sight - the moon at mid-morning.

I like to think that the moon is there even when I am not looking at it. ~Albert Einstein

Life is to give, not to take. Forget not the moon, when the sun rises... ~ Unknown Author

To behold the wandering moon,
Riding near her highest noon,
Like one that had been led astray
Through the heav'n's wide pathless way;
And oft as if her head she bowed,
Stooping through a fleecy cloud.
~ John Milton

It's 10:30 AM. I'm patrolling the backyard with T and inspecting my rejuvenated flower gardens. Although, technically, it's still summer, the bright sunshine paired with dry, cool air reminds me of early fall.

As I survey the mountains that loom above the neighborhood, I witness a rare sight. High above the jagged ridgeline sits the setting moon - an ethereal white body against the deep blue Colorado sky. My goodness! It's almost noon and the moon still lingers overhead.

I'm not a student of astronomy so I'm ignorant of the moon's diurnal behavior. So, with my right brain spinning, I let my imagination drift a little to the left of reason and my romantic tendencies wander.

Here's what I think. The moon is simply visiting our patch of earth while summer reigns in its full glory. Always the artist, she is carefully studying the landscape's brilliant colors - the lively hues and varied textures she's only seen in Monet paintings - before the lovely blooms and green foilage fade into autumnal tones and winter grays. And, she's as delighted to see me as I am to see her.

Welcome, Moon, to my party.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.



No comments: