Friday, August 19, 2005

Friday, 19 August 2005 - Chocolate covered cherries

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a handful of dried cherries drenched in chocolate.


Okay. The world isn't fair, I still can't find a job that's interesting enought to sustain me for a while, my stomach isn't as flat as it used to be despite 1000's of sit-ups and crunches, gasoline prices are obscene, my studio is cluttered again ...

So, at the natural foods store, I buy the perfect antidote for my terrible day - a small sack of dried cherries covered in milk chocolate. When I get home, I put the candy in the cupboard with my stash of "emergency" foods (dried Calmyra figs, honey-roasted almonds, gorp bars and licorice drops). If things don't improve soon, I'll have to eat at least two or three chocolate covered cherries to ease my depression.

The cherries will delight me with their chewiness and slightly tart flavor. The chocolate will be exquisite - rich, creamy and not too sweet. Yes, I'll savor each bite before the guilt of eating sugar sets in and overtakes my pleasure (yes, my craziness has no end). Oh well, I'll just work out harder and longer to burn the extra calories.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: