Saturday, August 20, 2005

Saturday, 20 August 2005 - A bounty of peaches

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a bounty of peaches.

During Colorado peach season, I always join the waiting list for a 20+ pound box of Austin Farms' organically grown "canning" peaches - ones with imperfections and small bruises. Some years, my name never makes it to the top of the list so I just buy the premium fruit. This week, however, I finally hit the jackpot.


So, what does one do with 20 pounds of peaches? I originally planned to freeze most of them so we'd have peaches during the winter (I actually studied the various techniques). But, after reviewing my recipe collection, I may end up baking my way to peach heaven.

This morning, I made one large peach crisp with a walnut/oatmeal/cinnamon topping - was delicious served warm from the oven. Next on the list: peach bread, peach cobbler and peach pie.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: