Sunday, July 03, 2005

Sunday, 3 July 2005 - A writer's golden rule

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a writer's golden rule.


Write injuries in sand, kindnesses in marble. ~ French proverb

Many years ago, a mentor advised me to write very carefully if the poem, story, report or essay is for public consumption. He noted that, when I give a speech, my audience won't remember my exact words the next day (they will remember the spirit in which I delivered my message and my passion). With published works, however, my words will be set in stone.

So, here's some time-tested advice to beginning writers. I based these "rules" on what I've learned during my 45 year adventure as a writer and editor.
  1. Be positive.
  2. Use active verbs.
  3. Say what you mean.
  4. If a sentence is too confusing, turn it into two sentences.
  5. Read what you've written out loud (if you stumble over a phrase, revise it).
  6. Edit ruthlessly.
  7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 as often as needed.
  8. Find a trustworthy and competent editor. Listen to his/her advice.
  9. Read, read, read (so you can recognize excellent writing).
  10. Imitation is fine but, eventually, you must find your own voice.
For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: