Friday, July 22, 2005

Friday, 22 July 2005 - K9 companionship and protection

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for T's companionship and protection.

You ask of my companions. Hills, sir, and the sundown, and a dog as large as myself that my father bought me. They are better than human beings, because they know but do not tell. ~Emily Dickinson

Labradors [are] lousy watchdogs. They usually bark when there is a stranger about, but it is an expression of unmitigated joy at the chance to meet somebody new, not a warning. ~Norman Strung

When S is away on business, T is my constant companion and guardian. Although he barks when the door bell rings or when he hears the UPS or FedEx truck stop near our house, he's not the best watchdog on the block. An intruder would have a relatively easy time if S & I weren't home - give T a dog bone or throw him a tennis ball and he's your friend for life. Still, I feel safe with him in the house while I work and by my side during our morning and evening walks.

For this blessing, I am grateful.


Amen.

No comments: