Saturday, July 02, 2005

Saturday, 2 July 2005 - Le Tour de France

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for the start of the 2005 Tour de France (and, sadly, Lance Armstrong's final professional race).

I was first introduced to the Tour de France in seventh grade during French class. Our textbook told the story of this great race. Already an avid sports fan, I began following the event by reading the LA Times sports page. Although I was friends with several serious cyclists during my UCLA years, I only rode my bike to and from campus. My sport at the time was long distance running, preferably the half marathon distance. My husband, however, was always a serious cyclist, regularly exploring California, Arizona, and Colorado on two wheels. I credit him with teaching me everything I know about the sport.

In Austin, TX, tennis was our sport of choice - S and I played almost daily. I could hit a mean forehand crosscourt and precisely place a down-the-line two-handed backhand. We were such fanatics that my husband called the US Open Championships the "high holy weeks" of summer.

When we moved to Colorado over 18 years ago, we hung up our tennis rackets to pursue a variety of outdoor activities including cycling. Although we follow the three major European championships - the Giro d'Italia, the Tour de France, and the Vuelta `a Espana, our "high holy weeks" embrace the Tour. We tape OLN's daily coverage, follow our favorite cyclists and teams as stories emerge on the web, and discuss the event with our cycling friends.

In winter, snow dominates the landscape and temperatures dip into the teens - very poor riding conditions. On evenings when another TV program just won't do, we dust off our Tour de France tape collection, find the year that fits our mood, and relive favorite stages over and over again.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.


No comments: