Monday, July 11, 2005

Monday, 11 July 2005 - A useful garden

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a useful garden.


I read that the best garden is one that produces food for the table. Why waste all that precious water on flowers?

I feel a little guilty about this. I am really good at growing ornamental plants but very poor at raising veggies and herbs (once the bugs takeover, I give up).

I inspect my garden this morning, just like I always do after T and I return from our walk. The air holds a slight chill so I welcome the rising sun's heat on my face and arms.

Initially, the garden appears to be sleeping - no movement or sounds to indicate activity. 'Tis a deception, however.

In a minute or two, I hear the distinct hum of the bees as they collect sweet nectar from the various blooms. I notice one large butterfly flitting happily near the hot pink dianthus, its bright yellow wings matching the daisies' centers. I also watch a rare Monarch as it dances near the fading penstemons. One familiar visitor, the fat red-breasted robin, sits on the fence, awaiting his turn to forage for worms and grubs (he sings to me that the early bird does catch the worm).

So, all is not lost. My garden does sustain the food chain - just further down the ranks than some would expect. Just ask my satisfied customers - the scores of bees and butterflies that rendevous in my garden each day for a sip of fresh nectar and the latest neighborhood gossip.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: