Monday, July 18, 2005

Monday, 18 July 2005 - My bicycle

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for my Specialized mountain bike and the strength and stamina to ride it.


The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets. ~Christopher Morley

Inspired by this year's Tour de France and Lance Armstrong, I've decided to begin training on my bicycle again so I can accompany my husband on the tandem. I haven't ridden seriously since 1995 when I had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee to repair a torn lateral meniscus. At the time, I was in the best shape of my life.

After surgery, I knew I had to temper my obsessive body building addiction. So, I adopted a more moderate daily routine of light weight lifting, power walking, Callanetics and Pilates. I added boxing (hitting a heavy bag and speed bag) this year.

I don't want to become a "spoke head" like my husband and his buddies. I do, however, plan to enjoy the exercise (I love climbing hills and we have an abundance in Colorado). And, as always, I will wear a bright yellow "livestrong" wristband, a reminder to relish the thrill of the ride.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: