Sunday, July 10, 2005

Sunday, 10 July 2005 - Fresh corn on the cob

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for fresh corn on the cob - near peak season, locally grown, organic.

When I see the display of fresh corn at the natural foods store, I can't resist buying six large ears as a surprise for S (he loves corn, but usually settles for the frozen kind). When I arrive home with my treasures, I prepare them for lunch.

I carefully strip away the husks and silk before rinsing the lustrous pale yellow kernals under a stream of cold water (the kernals remind me of pearls) . I break each ear in two. Then, I boil them in salted water for 5 long minutes (we live at 6,800 feet so cooking takes longer than at sea level).

S and I eat them piping hot, straight from the cauldron of boiling water. Plain. No added butter, oils, spices or other adornments.

With each juicy bite, our taste buds revel in the sweet-as-honey flavor. The kernals literally melt in our mouths.

So, here's another gastronomic joy that I add to my bank of summer memories - the collection that I'm counting on to help me endure next winter's coldest and bleakest days.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: