Friday, July 08, 2005

Friday, 8 July 2005 - Life's lessons and blessings

Dear God:

Today, in the aftermath of the London bombings, I am thankful for life's lessons and blessings.


Hem your blessings with thankfulness so they don't unravel.
~Author Unknown

When eating bamboo sprouts, remember the man who planted them.
~Chinese Proverb

The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings. ~Eric Hoffer, Reflections On The Human Condition

For each new morning with its light,
For rest and shelter of the night,
For health and food, for love and friends,
For everything Thy goodness sends.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

After learning of the horrific terrorist bombings in London, I realized that I still take too much for granted in my life.

So, here it is. Another lesson to master on my way towards earning that PhD in life. Another opportunity for significant personal transformation. Another chance to step up to the plate and hit a home run. Nothing earth shaking. Just a necessary and painful step in my journey as a human becoming.

As T and I circle the park this morning, I give thanks for all the precious elements that create a life worth having. I begin with the general - food, clothing, shelter, family, friends, clean water - and work my way to the personal. The list grows with each step.

I also vow to work harder to control my critical nature (I'm convinced that the Serenity Prayer was written just for me) and to be more generous with my time, talents and resources (I can always give a little more). And, I agree to "let go and let God" (easier said than done but I'm willing to try again).

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: