Sunday, July 24, 2005

Sunday, 24 July 2005 - Lance Armstrong

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for Lance Armstrong.

How fortunate that Lance Armstrong accomplished his feats during my lifetime! Ralph Waldo Emerson must have written these famous words just for Lance:

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Today, we watch as he rides up the Champs-Elysees for the last time, celebrating his unprecedented seventh consecutive win. Tears fill my eyes as he salutes his fans from atop the podium.

Yes, I am sad to see him retire from professional cycling for I've followed his amazing career from the beginning. Life, however, is a book. The long chapter on his cycling career ends today and a new one, yet untitled, begins tomorrow. For Lance, destiny reaches far beyond the cycling world. He knows it and is ready to move on.

Lance has inspired me to "livestrong" and to follow my dreams (because dreams do come true). Also, thanks to him, yellow is now one of my favorite colors.

Through good and bad times, he has shown that his heart is as big as the universe - most fitting for a true hero, an incredible athlete and a very remarkable person.

Thanks, Lance.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: