Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Tuesday, 04 December 2007 - The public library

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for the public library.

The richest person in the world - in fact all the riches in the world - couldn't provide you with anything like the endless, incredible loot available at your local library. ~Malcolm Forbes

Medicine for the soul. ~Inscription over the door of the Library at Thebes

Nutrimentum spiritus (food for the soul). ~Berlin Royal Library, inscription

The library branch I patronize recently reopened after a major renovation restored and modernized the historic building. The renovations did not alter the building's character so I still enter a turn of the century structure each time I visit.

I'm really glad it's back in business. The library is located on the westside where I run most of my errands. I stop in once a week to return what's due and to "shop."

I love to explore the premises. I slowly walk up and down each aisle, scanning the long wooden shelves for the books, books on CD and DVDs that appeal to me. Since I'm currently obsessed with novel writing, I'm reading more fiction than nonfiction.

After I've filled my large bookbag, I stroll to the checkout counter. While the clerk processes the items, I anticipate the adventures I'll have reading, watching and listening to my finds.

And, in case you're wondering, I never play video games for one very simple reason: in my opinion, books are better.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: