Sunday, December 09, 2007

Sunday, 9 December 2007 - A winter wonderland

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a winter wonderland.

It's absolutely amazing - last night's storm transformed our ordinary neighborhood into a magical world of snow, ice and icicles that rivals the Sugarplum Fairy's enchanted dreamland. I don't think I'll ever tire of Colorado's wintry landscapes. I may complain about shoveling snow from the driveway and sidewalk, but I will never deny how much I enjoy winter's eye candy.

T and I walk to the park on crunchy snow packed sidewalks and streets. While T strides confidently, I move more cautiously, taking extra care to avoid icy patches. Although I slip on the ice at least once each winter, I don't want to tumble today. I'm wearing my warmest fleece jacket, hat and gloves and favorite Teva boots - adequate protection since there's virtually no wind.

As we turn into the park, I "ooh" and "aah" at the scene before me - winter at its best - an early and much appreciated white Christmas. We pause in front of the pine and fir trees that line the west and southwest borders. Each tree is heavily flocked with snow, every branch and needle encased in ice and decorated with a generous dusting of fragile snowflakes. As we walk eastward, I notice that the air is glittery, the result of air moisture freezing in the bitter cold temperature.

For just a minute, I imagine that T and I are walking in a real live snow globe. If we're lucky, we might even meet The Nutcracker's Clara as she twirls and leaps across the winter landscape.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: