Sunday, December 23, 2007

Sunday, 23 December 2007 - Children

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for children.

Childhood is a short season. ~Helen Hayes

Just the other day, I realized that that nearly all the children in the neighborhood are in middle or high school. When did they grow up? When did they discover their own lives?

When we walk to the park, several young men and young women still run to us to pet T. But, they no longer ring the doorbell after school, asking if T can come out to play. They no longer hang out with S and I when we work in the front yard or garage.

I miss them. Young people are gifts. The more I interact with them, the more I believe that the world will be in good hands when the next generation inherits the Earth.

And, sadly, I accept this hard truth: as children grow older, so do we.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: