Friday, December 14, 2007

Friday, 14 December 2007 - 21 years and counting

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for my husband, S, as we celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary. Yes, that's 21 years of riding mile after unpredictable mile on life's perpetual roller coaster.

Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years. ~Simone Signoret

A long marriage is two people trying to dance a duet and two solos at the same time. ~Anne Taylor Fleming

So what do I love best about my husband?

First, S is bright and witty. He can make me laugh out loud even when I don't feel like smiling.

Second, he tolerates my creative whims and fancies, never complaining when I do things like:
- buying another plant, sewing pattern, yard of fabric or skein of yarn or
- insisting that we eat organically grown, locally-produced food or
- recycling anything that is recyclable or
- deciding to write a 50,000 word novel in November when I should be cleaning out the closets and making Christmas gifts.

Third, he never takes it personally when I'm testy during our athletic pursuits - I can be rather "in your face" while attempting difficult rock climbing or bouldering moves or scrambling down an unstable scree field with a heavy pack on my back.

Finally, he's been the best dad to our canine sons - first, Y and now, T.

For this blessing, I am truly grateful.

Amen.

No comments: