Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Tuesday,11 July 2006 - Life without a lawn

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for life without a lawn.

A lawn is nature under totalitarian rule. ~Michael Pollan, Second Nature, 1991

I am not a lover of lawns. Rather would I see daisies in their thousands, ground ivy, hawkweed, and even the hated plantain with tall stems, and dandelions with splendid flowers and fairy down, than the too-well-tended lawn. ~W.H. Hudson, The Book of a Naturalist, 1919

My gardening exploits have rewarded my husband sweetly - no lawns to mow! My front yard boasts a thriving xeric garden. I'm landscaping the back yard with native shrubs and xeric plants. If we need to trim the native grass, I use clippers or the edger. Happily, my husband hasn't complained once this summer about the lack of mowing opportunities.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: