Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Wednesday, 22 March 2006 - Earth Day

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for Earth Day (every day).

I owe my pro-environment attitudes and actions to the first Earth Day (I was a high school junior living in a smoggy Los Angeles suburb). Earth Day taught me how I could personally contribute to better air quality and the Earth's longevity. Simple things like recycling, planting trees and driving less/walking more.

My one triumph was not driving a car while living in Los Angeles (college and early career years) and Phoenix, AZ. I used public transportation or walked.

My one regret is that, in Colorado Springs where we currently live, I need to drive a car because the very poor public transportation system doesn't service our neighborhood.

My dream is to retire in a "greener" pedestrian/cycling-oriented city or town (hopefully in France or Italy). In such a place, I will blend in with the locals who already walk or ride a bike to get from here to there and back again.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: