Sunday, March 05, 2006

Sunday, 05 March 2006 - The movies

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for the movies.

In my circle of friends, my claim to fame is that I very rarely view a movie during the year in which it is released. Still, despite my lack of first hand knowledge of the nominees, the Academy Awards ceremony captivates me. I guess it's because I grew up with the movies (no Internet or video games existed during my childhood). No wonder my favorites include classics from the 1930s and 1940s.

Yes, I am the 20-something person who sobbed uncontrollably at the theater when I thought ET was dying. Yes, I am the young girl who pretended to be Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, awaiting rescue in the wicked witch's castle. Yes, I am the UCLA coed who watched movie classics with her dorm roommate into the wee hours of the morning. And, yes, I am the best friend of Forrest (Forrest Gump), Carl (Sling Blade) and Truman (The Truman Show).

Ahhh, the movies. Yes, the movies. Always, the movies.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: