Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Wednesday, 01 February 2006 - Hair

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for my hair.

When it comes to our hair, we women always want what we don't have. I have very straight hair and craved curly locks for years. My friends with naturally curly hair covet my straight tresses. I have always loved red hair yet I am stuck with dark brown and gray. For the cut, I have settled on a chin length "bob" that suits my square face shape, fine hair texture and busy, no-fuss lifestyle very well.

One concern of mine is how to describe my hair on official forms like my driver's license. This year, thanks to my stellar driving record, I was able to renew my driver's license by mail. On the renewal form, I was given the chance to confirm and update my information.

I lowered my height to 5'2" and changed my weight to 107 pounds. My eyes are still brown, so I selected that box. Next, I considered my hair color. The choices were very limited so I checked the box next to "brown."

Now, if the Department of Motor Vehicles really cared about my personal features, the form would have had more options for my hair color. For example, my license would show my "natural" hair color (I would have checked dark brown and gray). Then, it would reveal my "actual" hair color (I would have checked medium brown with interesting blond and red hightlights and gray along the hairline.)

Oh well. At least my photo on file still looks like me. I was 47 at the time. I hope in five years, people who examine my license will still remark, "Great picture. You haven't changed a bit!"

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: