Monday, February 13, 2006

Monday, 13 February 2006 - The neighborhood children

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for the neighborhood children.

Don't worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you. ~Robert Fulghum

I appreciate the fact that the neighborhood kids - including the middle school and high school boys - feel comfortable talking to me. So, over the weekend, when R and his friends told me about some "strange" happenings in the neighborhood, I believed their concerns and acknowledged their fears. I also promised to call the police department and relay the information. Which I did.

Since we don't have our own children, my husband and I make it a point to be friends with the young people in the neighborhood. These days, it does take a village to raise kids.

When we see someone we know, we go out of our way to talk to the person and find out what's going on in his/her life. We show genuine interest in their activities and note their talents and interests. When our schedules permit, we attend their extra-curricular activities including concerts and sporting events. We pay them well when they shovel the snow or take care of T. S helps them maintain their bicycles. I teach them about recycling, gardening and respect for the environment. And, most importantly, we try to set a good example. After all, you never know who is watching.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: