Monday, February 06, 2006

Monday, 06 February 2006 - A new skill

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a new skill.

I am learning to negotiate prices. In my pre-online buying days, I was an expert at finding things we needed or wanted on sale. At the mall, I was the 75%-or-more-off queen.

Now that I buy nearly everything (except groceries) online, I am learning to negotiate prices with individual sellers (you can't haggle with most businesses). My husband, an experienced negotiator, reminds me that if I don't ask for a discount, I won't get one.

So, I ask for discounts, usually on multiple purchases or on expensive items. To my surprise, the sellers often say yes to my requests. A few dollars here and there may not seem like a lot of money when you consider single purchases, but, over time, the savings add up. Not enough for a new car (something I really need), but enough to help fund our charitable gifts and political contributions.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: