Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Wednesday, 22 February 2006 - The scrub oak

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for the scrub oak.

God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods. But he cannot save them from fools. ~John Muir

The construction workers are back at work, clearing the last section of our neighborhood's open space to make room for some luxury homes. Their work involves removing more scrub oak - the venerable trees that have graced the land for many decades, providing nesting sites for the birds, shelter for the rabbits, camouflage for the deer, coyotes and foxes, and scenery for local hikers who frequent the trail (includes S, T and me).

We tearfully said our good-byes last fall when the earth movers began to level the land. Now, in the midst of winter, I am saddened again as I watch more of my old friends succumb to a developer's greed.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: