Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Wednesday, 9 March 2005 - My traveling companion

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for my traveling companion.

The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready. - Henry David Thoreau

I rarely walk alone, especially since T is such a willing companion. Daily, we live Thoreau's quote, waiting till the other is ready before beginning our morning hike. Initially, T must wait for me. He lies nearby, patiently watching as I complete my routine: first, the drink of water spiked with organic apple cider vinegar followed by the donning of weather-appropriate athletic pants, shoes and jacket. At the front door, I exchange my glasses for sunglasses, grab my hat and gloves, stuff the house key in my pocket, and help T put on the choke chain with attached lead. Now, we're ready to face the outside world.

Once on the trail, we reverse roles - I am at the mercy of T's mood and energy level. This morning, for example, he dallies along the trail, stopping every 20 yards or so to sniff a bush or clump of buffalo grass. He acts like it's the first time he's ever walked on the dirt path, a curious explorer methodically studying the flora and fauna of a new-found territory. I'm getting impatient and ask him to stay on the trail and step up the pace. We finally finish the loop - definitely not a record setting effort. What a difference a day makes. Yesterday, T motored along the trail, pulling me up and down the hills with boundless energy and strength.

Despite the leisurely pace of today's walk, we arrive home, energized and inspired by the exercise and fresh air. T looks on while I pause by the porch to scrape the mud from the soles of my boots. We bask in the brilliant sunshine and cool breeze for one more minute before entering the house, ready to begin our workday. I think that Thoreau said it best when he wrote: An early-morning walk is a blessing for the whole day.

For this blessing, I am very grateful.

Amen.

No comments: