Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Tuesday, 15 March 2005 - Life

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for life itself.

On March 15, 1954, at 3:42 AM PST, my strange and wonderful journey on planet Earth began. Now, 51 years later, my life continues, an uncanny adventure with no end in sight.

This morning, to celebrate the day, T takes me for a hike along our favorite trail. All that remains of yesterday's storm is a thick blanket of snow. I'm surprised at the mild temperature - no need for a hat or gloves. T is full of energy, pulling me towards the foothills with great enthusiasm.

As we near the midpoint of our hike, I stop for a few minutes to soak up the sun and complete my birthday ritual. I am a 51 year-old woman standing on a mountain with a Chocolate Labrador Retriever by her side. I must say good-bye to a difficult year and welcome a new one that's full of possibilities. I am stuck, however, with one foot in winter and the other in spring, struggling to release the old before embracing the new. I know that my fears stand in the way. So, I snatch them all with one hand and nail each one to the Cross. Then, I ask for forgiveness and mercy and grace. I receive all three.

With a sharp tug on the lead, T reminds me that it's time to move on. I give him a quick hug before we begin our descent. I sense that my 52nd year will be challenging. But that's okay. I have courage and faith.

Tonight, I'll put another candle on my birthday cake (it's actually a chocolate pie made from tofu). I really hope that, this year, my wish finally comes true.

For this blessing, I am so very grateful.

Amen.

No comments: