Friday, March 04, 2005

Friday, 4 March 2005 - Works in progress

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for works in progress.

I can't believe our good fortune. Azure skies, white clouds, snow capped mountains, clear air, warm temperatures, gentle breezes - the ingredients for a perfect morning and breathtaking afternoon.

I am so anxious to work in the garden, but S reminds me that the weather can change overnight, returning us to winter in a hurry. I resist starting any real work like digging and planting, choosing instead to water the perennials and clear some areas of debris. I also add mulch to bare spots and contemplate where I will scatter the wildflower seeds.

My garden will always be half reality and half dream. I love what it is, but always imagine it being so much more. Even on the so-called glory days of summer when every plant's ablaze in color and richly scented, I am thinking about what to do next to reach the landscape's full potential - perhaps a new shrub here or a different perennial there or more mulch around the Columbines.

As a gardener and a writer, I am never completely satisfied with my creations. I guess that's why I continue to search for the perfect plant or story that can see me through summer droughts, bleak winter days and spring's greatest temptations.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: