Thursday, March 10, 2005

Thursday, 10 March 2005 - Knowing how to take a walk

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for knowing how to take a walk.

Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote, "Few people know how to take a walk. The qualifications are endurance, plain clothes, old shoes, an eye for nature, good humor, vast curiosity, good speech, good silence and nothing too much."

My resume' interprets these qualifications for my 21st century life.

1. I am proud of my endurance, a remnant of my marathon running days.
2. I prefer an exercise wardrobe of plain clothes, although the pieces are made from modern, high tech fabrics like Gortex and Capilene.
3. I wear broken-in boots of an older style - I think that Emerson would accept these for the old shoes.
4. I have an eye for nature that comes from my love of the natural world and my passionate support of pro-environmental causes.
5. I continually exhibit good humor, a vast curiosity and good speech as my writing demonstrates.
6. I know how to walk in good silence, letting the Holy Spirit and birds monopolize the conversation.
7. And, I walk with nothing too much, which means I check my baggage at the trailhead and proceed along the dirt path with an expectant and faithful heart.

By the way, Emerson's list should have included one more qualification: "People who know how to take a walk should have at least one canine companion, preferably a Labrador Retriever, to share the adventure."

Lucky me. I've got T, a Chocolate Lab and avid traveler, prolific sniffer, and walker extraordinaire.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: