Monday, March 28, 2005

Monday, 28 March 2005 - My garden's first spring flower

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for my garden's first spring flower.

What a picture perfect day – temperatures in the 60s, blue skies, and cool breezes. Mid-afternoon, T and I finish our afternoon walk around the park and head for home. Before entering the house, I survey the xeriscape garden I planted late last summer to replace the lawn. I hope to find new growth on the hardiest plants.

Instead, to my delight, I find one miniature iris near the lavender plants, its pretty yellow head rising above the drab mulch. I check the other bulb beds and discover many green shoots pushing through the earth. I’m relieved that my garden is finally emerging from its winter sleep. To celebrate the occasion, I raise a glass of homemade lemonade and toast the little iris.


For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: