Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Wednesday, 11 July 2007 - Lady Bird Johnson (1912-2007)

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for Lady Bird Johnson (1912-2007).

If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants. ~Isaac Newton

I always liked Lady Bird Johnson. She is one of the Giants upon whose shoulders I stand.

As a teenager, I sought strong female role models. She inspired me with her fierce independence and environmental activism.

Ultimately, Lady Bird's life set an important example for me. Her actions encouraged me to live purposefully; to find a cause about which I'm passionate, then let my heart go.

Although S and I lived in Austin during the 1980s, we never met her. I will however, think of Lady Bird Johnson whenever I recall our annual springtime jaunts through her beloved Hill Country to see the Texas bluebonnets.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: