Monday, July 30, 2007

Monday, 30 July 2007 - Prayer walking

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for prayer walking.

May my body
Be a prayer stick

For the world.

~Joan Halifax

My daily pilgrimage begins with a walk around the park with T. This morning, we leave the house around 7 AM. It's too late to escape the bright sunshine but early enough to miss the searing heat.

T is pleased with himself, striding confidently along the park's northern border with his chocolate Lab swagger. He abruptly stops here to sniff the wet grass, over there to mark the overgrown juniper bushes, by the trash can to check out out an empty Styrofoam food container.

As we near the children's playground and sandbox, I think about why I take these daily walks. Three reasons come to mind:
- To give T an outing and some exercise.
- To clear my head and prepare for the day.
- To pray.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let those who approach me give me a wide berth so I can exercise my faith with my feet.
Let those who know me simply smile and wave when they pass T and me.
My neighbors know that I am on a mission as I circle the park,
Talking to God, prayer walking.

Let the birds offer their songs in glorious praise of this summer day.
Let the trees offer their comforting shade in gratitude for every blessing.
Let me walk purposefully and passionately with a warrior's feet along this familiar path.

I accept the fact that
A stranger might conclude that I am merely
One woman idling away the morning hour,
Walking her dog around the neighborhood park.
But, today, I see no strangers
And want no stranger's opinion.
God is with me
And I care only about
His opinion.

Oh God,
Let me be
A prayer stick
For the world.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: