Thursday, July 26, 2007

Thursday, 26 July 2007 - One hug

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for one hug.

I had an eventful evening visiting Tom. I'm amazed at his progress - can see significant changes in his physical and mental abilities over the course of one day. His schedule is quite busy now, filled with physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy sessions and daily visits from friends, colleagues and family.

I want to share one excerpt from my report to my "team" about tonight's visit so you will understand why I titled this entry, one hug. (Note that as team members, we agreed to write and publish reports on a special website to keep each other apprised of Tom's activities and progress and our observations about his care):
"After I read a few pages of A Year in Provence (we're almost done with November), Tom signaled that he wanted to sit up. First, Lisa (his CNA sitter) had to rearrange the catheter and feeding tube and asked him to wait until she was ready. He obeyed. After he sat up, she helped him reach a stable position on the right side of bed. With his left hand, Tom motioned to me to sit next to him (he straightened the sheet and patted the bed). I sat down next to him. Then, he put his left arm around me and hugged me."
For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: