Monday, July 02, 2007

Monday, 02 July 2007 - One hand squeeze

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for one hand squeeze.

Most days, a hand squeeze is not a rare or special action. But, today, it was both because it was Tom's left hand squeezing mine - over and over again.

S and I visited our friend, Tom, late in the afternoon. He's still in the hospital's critical care ward. Our visits have a new goal: to stimulate his mind and memory. Consequently, each visit will now last at least an hour, preferably two.

Today, I read aloud from Peter Mayle's A Year in Provence and chatted away about cycling, the Tour de France, Wimbledon, gardening, the weather and whatever else crossed my mind. (I'm surprisingly good at small talk when I need to be.)

The nurse believes that Tom is on the verge of emerging from the coma. So do I.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

1 comment:

D.R. Cootey said...

Thank you for sharing your blog with me. I wish your friend Tom all the best in getting out of his coma. How selfless of you to visit him and read - giving his mind something to spark upon. I'll say a prayer for him tonight. Keep me posted.

~Douglas
The Splintered Mind - Overcoming Neurological Disabilities With Lots Of Humor And Attitude