Sunday, July 29, 2007

Sunday, 29 July 2007 - Risk taking

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for my own brand of risk taking.

I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
~Pablo Picasso
To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily. To not dare is to lose oneself.
~Soren Kierkegaard
You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take. ~Wayne Gretzky

Is risk taking an innate or learned trait? The experts can't agree. So, maybe, like most traits, it's a little of both.

While growing up in Southern California, my wary parents repeatedly told me "no." So, ever the obedient child, I didn't. Still, my own brand of risk taking formed, thrived and prevailed, allowing me to surmount tough, mental boundaries set by more cautious adults.

So, here's to a more daring attitude, a strong faith that conquers fear, "needs improvement" ratings that push me to do better next time, and risky adventures that force me to step onto foreign territory and learn something new about myself.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: