Friday, July 06, 2007

Friday, 06 July 2007 - Solace found in tiny garden miracles

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for solace found in tiny garden miracles.

I know that I cannot choose miracles. Miracles choose me. They simply happen.

Right now, I have a certain miracle in mind - one regarding our friend, Tom, who remains in a coma. That is the miracle I'm waiting for, looking for, hoping for.

In the meantime, I'm finding solace in the tiny miracles unfolding in my garden. Today, I notice:

- Several hardy day lilies blooming despite my negligence. Last year, our neighbor, Dan, donated over a dozen to my garden after thinning his overgrown beds. I planted the lilies wherever I had space and left them alone. My guilt got the best of me a few weeks ago when I noticed their droopy leaves. I began watering them regularly.

- The Shasta daisies, blooming in the north garden against the house - their home for nearly 20 years. These daisies comprise the centerpiece of my original garden. In the old days, I simply scattered wildflower seeds on the dirt, watered daily and watched for signs of life. Whatever managed to grow, created the garden. Now, the Shasta daisies and other flowering perennials return year after year.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: