Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Wednesday, 8 June 2005 - The early morning cool

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for the early morning cool that precedes the afternoon heat.

As I get older, I tolerate hot weather less and less. T is the same way, preferring to begin our hikes before or just after sunrise. Our blood is still too thick from the cold Colorado winter and, although our household boasts two fit and trim adults and one svelte chocolate Lab, we are just now shedding the last layer of winter fat. T's short but dense fur is clearly a disadvantage. It's not as thick as it was in January. But, although he's been shedding 24x7 since March, he still gets very hot around mid-afternoon and regularly begs for "wet downs" with the garden hose.

Anyway, I will stick to my early to bed and early to rise routine throughout the summer. I want to enjoy my outdoor pursuits in the comfort of the morning's gentle light and refreshing breezes. Now, if only I could convince my husband, S, to begin our weekend hikes early in the day. Unlike me, he is a child of the sun who thrives in summer's intense heat.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: