Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Tuesday, 28 June 2005 - Mrs. Jeep

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for Mrs. Jeep, my trusty Jeep Cherokee Laredo (vintage 1987).

I have never been nor will ever be a car person. When I lived and worked in Los Angeles, I either took the bus or walked to my destination. I've owned only two cars during my lifetime - a used brown Toyota Corolla hatchback that I bought after moving to Austin, TX in 1983 and my current silver Jeep Cherokee Laredo that we bought new after moving to Colorado in 1987.

Mrs. Jeep (as opposed to Mr. Jeep, my husband's 1985 CJ7) has taken me through the worst winter storms. I'm a California girl at heart and, despite enduring 18 winters, I still get a pit in my stomach whenever I drive on snow-packed or icy roads. She also kept me safe and sound during the 19 months I commuted to Denver - those trips are responsible for most of the mileage.

Nowadays, I work from home and run errands on Friday mornings. I'm lucky if I drive more than 50 miles a week. A 20 gallon tank of gas lasts a long time even though I only get 20 mpg - a good thing given gas prices and our tight budget.

In 2003, my husband retired Mr. Jeep and bought a new Ford Ranger truck. I'm holding out for an environmentally-friendlier hybrid or bio-diesel car. In the meantime, Mrs. Jeep (happily) remains my vehicle of choice.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: