Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Wednesday, 09 January 2008 - One inspiring teacher

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for one inspiring teacher.

I "met" Rafe Esquith and the Hobart Shakespeareans for the first time in a 2006 PBS POV (Point of View) documentary. Since that initial meeting, I periodically borrow the video from the library and so I can watch their amazing story again.

In my heart of hearts, I wish Rafe Esquith had been one of my teachers. I think that he would have convinced me to major in English or Philosophy at UCLA and pursue a serious writing career straight out of college. I could have used the encouragement and validation since my parents never encouraged or praised my writing.

So, I watch Rafe work with his students. I smile at their exploits and applaud their accomplishments. Sadly, I find myself craving his encouraging and inpiring words. So, for just a moment, I pretend that his messages - especially the ones that acknowledge talent and individual worth - are addressed to me.

And, even though I am much older than his 9 year-old charges, I still try to internalize Rafe's simple, bottomline rules of life: Be nice. Work hard. There are no shortcuts.

Folr this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: