Thursday, January 17, 2008

Thursday, 17 January 2008 - Labrador retrievers

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for Labrador retrievers.

2007 Most Popular Dogs in the U.S.

1. Labrador retriever
2. Yorkshire terrier
3. German shepherd
4. Golden retriever
5. Beagle
6. Boxer
7. Dachshund
8. Poodle
9. Shih Tzu
10. Bulldog

T is elated that his breed repeats as the most popular in the United States. When I announced the good news, he immediately pranced around the family room with his favorite "Lambie Doodle" floppy toy in his mouth. I could almost hear him chant over and over again, "I'm number one!" From my human point of view, I agree. T, you are number one.

Now, despite his lover boy nature, T has negative points. He sheds 24x7x365 and his fur smells "fishy" when damp or wet. Although S and I don't mind his slobbery kisses, others not used to his affection do. T's extended puppy stage lasted well over five years. He also has an annoying obsession with people food. And, sadly, his life span will be too short - maybe 13 years at most.

T turned 11 in December so he is an old guy. I look into his big golden eyes and give him one more hug before returning to work. The three of us look forward to being a family for a few more years.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: