Friday, January 18, 2008

Friday, 18 January 2008 - Bobby Fisher

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for Bobby Fisher.

'Tis all a chequer board of nights and days,
Where destiny with men for pieces plays;

Hither and thither, and mates, and slays.

~Edward Fitzgerald

If it hadn't been for Bobby Fisher, I don't think I would have learned to play chess when I did.

True to form, my parents never encouraged me to learn the game. One of my younger sisters, however, became an avid student of the game when Bobby Fisher's notoriety and genius was front page news in the United States.

She followed Bobby Fisher's exploits and studied his moves, often replicating situations on the chess board so she could understand his strategies. She cheered louder than anyone when he dethroned world chess champion, Boris Spassky, in 1972. Anyway, my younger sister taught me how to play chess. All because of Bobby Fisher.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: