Monday, January 28, 2008

Monday, 28 January 2008 - A season and reason to volunteer

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a season and reason to volunteer.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
~Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

During this season of my career, I find that volunteer opportunities abound. Every nonprofit I approach can use my time and needs my expertise (what a switch from the corporate world that deems me too old, too experienced and too expensive). So, right now, as I begin to follow my 2008 plan, I have my pick of positions.

I've already narrowed my choices. First on my list is Barack Obama's presidential campaign. It's a short term experience with limited impact, but an important personal endeavor.

The second opportunity is with a group that promotes ecological stewardship through educational programs. I like the fact that the organization is local, small and getting ready to grow - much like the start-up companies I prefer to work for. Its mission aligns with my personal environmental activism. Plus, the executive director and staff are willing to teach me as much as I want to learn about grant writing, fundraising and the nonprofit world in general. I know I can be an impact player if I work for this group.

All of this because I have a specific goal in mind: to invest at least one year getting the experience required to lead a progressive nonprofit organization.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: