Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Tuesday, 29 January 2008 - A practical wardrobe

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a practical wardrobe.

Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes.
~Henry David Thoreau, Walden

These days, I dress quite casually regardless of the occasion - jeans, knit tops, hand knit sweaters, fleece jackets and climbing gear. Practical clothing for my practical life.

When I prepare for a business meeting, however, my biggest worry is what to wear. When I left my last corporate position and decided to pursue a serious writing career, I donated my expensive work wardrobe to the charity shop. Gone are the days when I could dress in five minutes - pick a black skirt, a black jacket, a white top, black tights and black pumps and I was good to go.

In the transition, I lost my keen sense of style. I'm saddened by this realization. I still love the idea of having a fabulous designer-inspired wardrobe. I just don't need one anymore. I guess my fashionista days are over.

At least I know the importance of wearing clothes that fit. The size is irrelevant as long as the item fits with minor or no alterations. I guess that's why I'm sewing again. Few ready to wear brands fit me, and those that do boast expensive, designer labels. I'm also upset that manufacturers charge the same price for many items regardless of the size. My size 2P jeans require much less fabric than the size 16s, yet I must pay the same price. No thanks!

So, I'm perfecting my pattern fitting skills and creating clothing from my stash of eco-friendly fabrics. My latest project involves making a pair of perfectly fitting trouser style jeans. Wish me luck. It's a challenging project!

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: