Friday, January 25, 2008

Friday, 25 January 2008 - Extra doses of kindness

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for extra doses of kindness.

I don't know why, but people were very considerate and generous today.

I'm thinking about the librarian who, despite the long line at the check out counter, asked me how my novel was progressing and recommended a new Italian cookbook. I'm thinking about the butcher who suggested that I try the house brand chicken - all natural, no antibiotics or hormones, much cheaper than the name brand I usually buy. I'm also thinking about the cashier who pointed out that I had selected an inferior brand of tortillas (I replaced it with a better brand). He also gave me his "secret" family recipe for making authentic enchilada sauce. And, I'm thinking about the owner of the climbing gym who gave S and I every possible discount on today's user fee.

I mentioned these kind gestures to a neighbor. She thought that maybe my number had finally come up; that instead of giving, it was my turn to receive.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: