Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Wednesday, 2 February 2005 - Six more weeks of winter

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for six more weeks of winter (I think).

This morning, amid the pomp and circumstance of Ground Hog's Day, Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow before retreating to his burrow. I didn't exactly jump for joy, but if winter means a day like today - sunny with blue skies and snow capped mountains looming over our little valley - then so be it.

Besides, my heart lives in spring year round. And, I suffer from the winter affliction known as "itching to work in the garden" syndrome. Recently, I've been studying the High Country Garden catalogs, identifying all the xeric perennials that tolerate clay soil. I'll scatter wildflower seeds in March and April, but won't plant new additions or transplant old favorites until June 1 when we are almost assured of frost-free days.

My first priority: to expand the front yard garden. Last September, I removed the sod and covered the dirt with newspaper and a very thick layer of pine mulch. I've been threatening to do this for years because of the drought and watering restrictions and finally did the work. Then, I planted at least three dozen xeriscape plants and five dozen bulbs from various sources: local nurseries, catalogs, Kmart, neighbors and friends. The plants have been soundly sleeping all winter under a cozy blanket of mulch and snow.

This spring, I want to build a brick or flagstone path that will lead from the sidewalk up to the front porch and our cheerful, Christmas red door. I've been collecting ideas from various sources including my stash of home improvement magazines and catalogs. First, I'll have to dig out the gnarled juniper stumps that sit in front of the porch and remove the river rock that lines the driveway - tough work that may require S's assistance and brawn. Physical labor doesn't daunt me. I can't wait to break a sweat and get my hands really dirty!

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: