Thursday, February 10, 2005

Thursday, 10 February 2005 - Others can learn from my mistakes

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful that others can learn from my mistakes.

I hate my gray hair and have spent lots of time and money at the salon to disguise it under dye and highlights. Now, to save money, I've been coloring my hair myself. It's actually very easy - I buy the "stuff," mix it up, apply it to my roots and gray areas, wait for 25 minutes, shampoo, blow dry, and there I am - no more gray.

Today, for whatever reason, I felt adventurous and decided to apply highlights. The magazine ads and television commercials swear how easy it is for ordinary women like me to create "multi-dimensional color." Well, I tried it and have two words to say about the experience: strand test. I skipped this step.

I can't begin to describe the color my hair turned within minutes of applying the goop. All I can say is that it was an alarming yet interesting hue. And, no, I don't want to be a Betsey Johnson look-alike.

All was not lost, however. After all, I am a cool-headed, resourceful woman. I simply redyed the strange colored strands with my base color. The result? I ended up right where I began with a headful of boring, one-dimensional, espresso-colored tresses.

Does she or doesn't she? Only her hairdresser knows for sure. Yeah, right.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: