Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Tuesday, 8 February 2005 - Carol Kelley

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for having known Carol Kelley.

I scan the local obituaries every Sunday - just in case. Occasionally, I see a familiar name. Last Sunday, I saw Carol's.

Carol Kelley, aged 45, wife, mother and activist, died after a long fight against breast cancer. I knew her in the early 1990s when we were both employed by UTMC. Outside of her career, she was best known for her work with the Susan G. Komen Foundation and bringing the "Race for the Cure" to our community.

I honor Carol Kelley, her life and work. Although we knew each other for only a year or so, she taught me what it means to find one's purpose in life and then pursue it with passion, energy and joy. For me, John Donne's words never rang truer:
"No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."
Thank you, Carol.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: