Saturday, February 12, 2005

Saturday, 12 February 2005 - My husband's optimism

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for my husband's optimism.

On the coldest mornings, T still insists that I take him for a walk. I am, however, less enthusiastic about facing the single digit temperature and wind chill. I expect the worst and dress accordingly. T is impatient as I choose my outfit. He, of course, doesn't have to decide what to wear. His dense fur keeps him warm in the most bone-chilling arctic air, and his all-weather paws can negotiate any terrain including ice.

Finally, I am ready to go. I leave the house dressed in my winter best: expedition-weight Capilene tops and bottoms, an insulated Gore-Tex jacket, Smartwool socks, Teva snow boots, my favorite Polarfleece hat and heavy ski gloves.

On our way to the park, we pass the middle school kids waiting for the bus. It really must be cold for even our neighbor boys wear hats and heavy coats. Then, I see him - the boy wearing shorts beneath his parka, the one daring to defy winter's chill. I'm sure his mother, after much arguing about this outfit, finally gave in after he agreed to wear a jacket.

My husband could have been this young man had he grown up in Colorado instead of Southern California. S is the quintessential child of summer, the one for whom the glass is always half full, the optimist who feels the sun's warmth even on a record cold day in the heart of winter, the Libra spirit who keeps our lives in balance. How fortuntate for me, the Pisces woman who dwells in winter. His sunny disposition breaks through my moodiness, coaxing me to set aside my fears and face the music with a smile.

For this blessing, I am very grateful.

Amen.

No comments: