Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Tuesday, 22 February 2005 - Memories preserved in photographs

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for memories preserved in photographs.

My niece, R, celebrates her 16th birthday today. Unfortunately for me, she lives in California so I'm missing another birthday party. I think about her frequently during the day, pausing several times to study the array of photographs through which I celebrate her life.

Click. R is born, a beautiful baby with exquisite blue eyes. Her contented smile tells me that she knows she's part of a wonderful family with the very best parents.

Click. R is three, wearing one of the corduroy jumpers I made for her. She mugs for the camera, making a really silly face. Of course, all I see is the face of an angel.

Click. Click. Click. School pictures. Dance recitals. Christmas mornings. Halloween costumes. Birthday parties. Disneyland. Soccer games. London. Paris. Colorado. Family reunions. High school. And now, Sweet Sixteen.

Happy Birthday, R.

For this blessing, I am very grateful.

Amen.

No comments: