Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Wednesday, 16 February 2005 - Bargain shopping

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for the joys of shopping for a bargain so I can satisfy my champagne tastes on a beer budget.

I love beautiful, well-made, distinctive clothes, shoes and handbags, especially ones bearing designer labels. Thank goodness I am also an excellent shopper with an eye for high quality at low prices. For several years, I've bought most of my wardrobe from consignment stores stocked with incredible deals. Now, one of my favorite resale boutiques resides on Ebay.

"M" sells fabulous, gently-used and new designer clothing, shoes, handbags and accessories for a mere fraction of the original price, perfect for those of us on a budget. The items come from well-heeled closets including her own. One of her friends wears my size, so I love to look at these gorgeous clothes when they come up for auction. If I don't check M's site daily, I'll miss out on the fun. Her customers snap up the bargains, so items rarely remain listed for more than a day.

Although the prospect of buying high fashion at low prices lures me to her site, I also enjoy reading M's descriptions. She is a gifted storyteller. Like an experienced auctioneer, she enthusiastically shares the intimate history behind the item up for bid while extolling its potential for future adventures with a new owner.

The anecdotes and comments personalize the online shopping experience. I may never meet M in person, but I know her clothes very well.

Recently, I read about the "hot" $1,000 Donna Karan jacket that M wore for 5 hours at a holiday cocktail party. She never found another occasion to wear it. So, after a year of indecision, she's selling the jacket for $60. I consider her girlfriend's brand new authentic Fendi purse, a last minute, expensive gift from the husband. It's a steal at $135. I admire the $800 chocolate brown cashmere cardigan sweater selling for $75 (too bad it's too big for me). M explains that she bought it for her sister as a Christmas gift, but ended up giving something else. Now the sweater is ready for a new home.

I always look, engaging in the sport of "cyber window shopping," but only buy occasionally. Since I no longer wear a corporate uniform, most of the clothes, shoes and accessories don't fit my jeans and sweater lifestyle. I did, however, splurge on a luxurious $700 designer suit made from French wool and cashmere, paying $40 for this amazing outfit. When I saw the photograph of the suit, I fell in love with the jacket. Now that it's mine, I can report that it fits perfectly and looks great with jeans. But, more importantly, I feel like a million bucks each time I wear it.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: