Thursday, February 17, 2005

Thursday, 17 February 2005 - Human interactions

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for human interactions.

Welcome to the world of self-service check-outs. Today, I can borrow books from the library, buy gas at the Shell station, and mail packages at the post office without speaking to a single person as long as I swipe the right card and answer "yes" or "no" when prompted.

Although I love technology and how it improves my life, I prefer to deal directly with people when I run errands. I guess that's why I patronize locally-owned businesses rather than the chains. I like to know the owners personally - spending quality time in their shops so I can learn who they are and what they're thinking. In return, they take very good care of me.

When I walk into the consignment store, Eve tells me that she was thinking about me that morning and shows me an assortment of beautiful clothes in my size. When I walk into the natural foods store, Randy and Patty greet me by name, show me which fruits and vegetables are the freshest, and help me carry my purchases to the car. When I walk into the library, the front desk clerk smiles and asks how my writing is progressing or if I've designed new jewelry or knit new scarves.

Yes, I like to save money, but not if it means sacrificing great service and new friends. You see, for me, the human touch is priceless.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: