Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Wednesday, 18 June 2008 - One more tree

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for one more tree.

While tidying my gardening "stuff," I find a plastic bag containing one bare root tree.

Now I remember
.

A gardening organization sent it to me last fall in a vain attempt to entice me to join the group. After receiving the "gift," I decided not to plant the tree right away (or maybe, I decided not to plant it at all) and placed the package in the garage.

I don't know anything about the tree, its species or common name. I don't know if it will thrive or survive in Colorado (zone 5).

I open the package and discover that the roots are moist and the trunk flexible. It's June, nearly summer, but the tree is still dormant.

I decide to try to revive it. After soaking the roots for about 30 minutes in a SuperThrive bath, I carefully plant the tree in a large planter filled with potting soil.

Now the waiting begins. If all goes well, I should see leaf buds within a few weeks. If not, I'll plant another tomato plant in the pot.

I'm hoping and praying for the former result. A gardener can always find room in the yard for one more tree.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: