Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Tuesday, 10 June 2008 - A single rose

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a single rose.

I love roses in the garden. Think heirloom and modern varieties, pure eye candy in deep or pastel shades of pink, coral, red and yellow. Think fragrant blooms, the ones on which I rest my nose before inhaling deeply, capturing the heady perfume in memory.

So, when I chose plants for the backyard garden, I considered roses. Then, I spoke to other gardeners about growing roses along the Rocky Mountain foothills. After hearing too many "horror" stories, I stepped back, reconsidered my selections and and put roses on the "no" list.

In spring 2005, while studying the latest High Country Gardens catalog, I found a shrub rose whose low to moderate water needs made it suitable for my xeric garden.

I bought one and planted it in the north backyard garden, the dry side that gets full sun. The shrub thrived, surviving the seasons without complaint.

But, to my disappointment, it did not bloom. Until this month when I discovered a single yellow flower.

Now, this rose doesn't resemble the lovely ones that graced my father's garden. But, it's perfect for mine.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

Photo: rosa hugonis (AKA Father Hugo's rose, Golden Rose of China), registered/introduced in 1899

No comments: